Permanent URI for this collection
Now showing 1 - 5 of 31
- ItemMedia access & use in teaching: does copyright pose obstacles to your instructional mission?(University of Lethbridge. Teaching Centre, 2023) Langrell, Kate; Novakowski, Ebony; Hanstke, Tamar; Graham, Rumi Y.; Singh, Cyrus Sundar; Taylor, AaronHave you ever selected a film for online viewing by your class, only to find it is no longer available when students need to access it for an assignment? Has a student ever reported that your Moodle link to a film on a free Canadian streaming platform is geo-blocked in the student's home country where they are taking the course? Do your students have trouble figuring out what they may lawfully borrow or adapt from media sources when they create new media content as part of assigned coursework? This roundtable spotlights a multi-institutional initiative that is probing possible ameliorations to conundrums such as these. The Media Access and Copyright Group (MAC) was created by the roundtable convenors under the sponsorship of the Film and Media Studies Association of Canada. Comprising about 45 communication and media studies scholars, academic librarians, copyright advisors, filmmakers, and legal experts, MAC is pursuing the development of best practice codes to help faculty understand when unlicensed educational access to and use of media content may be permissable. Chairs and coordinators of MAC's three working groups will briefly outline the focus and progress of their groups to date and touch on why media access and use issues remain pressing ones--especially as we move away from physical media and further into the streaming age. Following a Q&A to address any questions about MAC, we will invite you to share your stories, experiences, and perhaps uncertainties regarding teaching and researching using media content while trying to remain copyright-compliant.
- ItemBefore, during & after the pandemic: challenges in accessing & using media in academic settings(2022) Aufderheide, Patricia; Graham, Rumi Y.; Nair, Meera; Taylor, AaronAn online workshop presented by the Media Access and Copyright Working Group, Film Studies Association of Canada (FSAC) during the 2022 FSAC Annual Conference. This workshop will provide an overview of the group's work and gather feedback from attendees. Before the conference the group will release a report that outlines three focal areas for the Association to pursue: advocacy for amending the Copyright Act to better support online teaching and learning; opportunities for accessing and exhibiting content using exceptions such as fair dealing; and best practices for repurposing and creating new videographic work using exceptions such as fair dealing. The workshop goals are to hear from a wide range of stakeholders on these issues and to prepare for the next stage of proposed Association working groups.
- ItemBefore, during & after the pandemic: challenges in accessing & using media in academic settings(2022) Blankenship, Janelle; Graham, Rumi Y.; Innerd, Charlotte; Langrell, KateAn online panel presentation at the 2022 ABC Copyright Conference hosted by Western University. Teaching online using copyrighted films and other media has posed significant challenges for educational institutions for many years. Those challenges continued, if not intensified, during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will certainly persist into at least the near future. This session outlines recent initiatives undertaken collaboratively by film studies faculty, copyright practitioners, and academic librarians to find ways to alleviate or remedy obstacles to equitable use of media in educational settings.
- ItemComment le droit d'auteur entrave à la créativité et à l'apprentissage, et comment les communautés canadiennes d'études sur les médias peuvent agir(Association canadienne d'études cinématographiques, 2022) Taylor, Aaron; Christensen, Alec; Selman, Brianne; Tepperman, Charles; Innerd, Charlotte; Baron, Jaimie; Blankenship, Janelle; Stidwill, Jenna; Langrell, Kate; Nair, Meera; Lyons, Owen; Graham, Rumi Y.; Rouleau, Thomas; Rioux, Valérie
- ItemVoices from the field: internship: what's in a name(Association of College and Research Libraries, 2022) Graham, Rumi Y.; Scott, Emma; Rocca, Marissa